Wellcome Trust is offering senior fellowships in Public Health and Tropical Medicine for developing countries at an academic institution in a low- and middle-income country.
This fellowship is the most senior of a series of career awards aimed at building sustainable capacity in areas of research that have the potential for increasing health benefits for people and their livestock in low- and middle-income countries.
- A Senior Research Fellowship is for up to seven years. After this time, you can apply for one renewal of up to 5 years.
- The fellowship may be held on a part-time basis.
The award includes:
- A basic salary (determined by your host organization)
- A fellowship supplement of £12,500 if you’re paid on a non-clinical salary scale
- Personal removal expenses
- Research expenses, including research staff
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from low and middle income countries (Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, American Samoa, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde* (Capo Verde), Central African Republic, Chad, China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Cuba, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Arab Rep., El Salvador, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, The Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Islamic Rep., Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Korea, Dem Rep., Kosovo, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao PDR, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Macedonia, FYR, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Fed. Sts., Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Romania, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, RB, Vietnam, West Bank and Gaza, Yemen, Rep., Zambia and Zimbabwe) are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
- Entrance Requirements: You can apply for a Senior Research Fellowship if you’re already leading your own independent research program.
- Fellowship is provided for pursuing a research program at an academic institution in a low- and middle-income country.
- The program of work you propose must be innovative and ambitious. You should have a higher degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) and significant research experience. You should be able to show:
- your work is important, original and has an impact
- you have made important contributions to your area of research, eg publications, patents, software development or an impact on health policy or practice
- you are developing an international reputation as a research leader in your field
- you’re committed to developing and mentoring less experienced researchers.
You must have sponsorship from a head of department or equivalent at an eligible host organizatio. Your host organization must be located in one of the following:
- Republic of Ireland
- a low or middle income country (only nationals of low- or middle-income countries have this third option).
If you hold or have held, a senior fellowship supported by another funding body, you can apply for a Senior Research Fellowship of up to 5 years (not 7 years). You will need a 50% salary contribution from your host organization. After this, you can’t apply for a renewal. Please contact the relevant Science team to discuss this and to find out how to apply.
If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave, shared parental leave or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.Apply Now
Why should you create a Scholarship alert
- Get relevant scholarships directly in your inbox
- Stay updated with latest opportunities
- Be the first one to apply
Why Scholarship Union?
10439+ Scholarships in total
1073+ Newsletter subscribers
and surely lot more scopes and opportunities are coming soon...